While Likes are nice, comments are the spice of life on any website.
Not sure what makes a thoughtful comment? Here are some tips for crafting comments that contribute to the conversation:
- Try to avoid comments that simply say “Great post!” or “Thanks!” — make an effort to add to the discussion.
- Be specific about why you enjoyed the post.
- Ask a relevant question.
- Respectfully offer a counterpoint. (And because it can’t be overstated: respectfully!)
- Share a related experience.
- Be concise. If your comment is more than two paragraphs, write a post of your own and let the blogger know they inspired it. (Learn about Pingbacks)
- Don’t leave a plug just to link to your blog — if you’ve linked it in your profile, your name links to your blog anyway.
- Mind your manners. If you wouldn’t say it to someone’s face, don’t say it in the comment thread.
*The above, with some edits by me, was generously provided by the WordPress.com Blogging for Beginners course. If you’d like to learn more, check out WordPress.com Courses!